Saturday, September 18, 2010

This or That

See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways, and keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase in the land you are entering to possess. Deuteronomy 30:15-16 NIV

The opportunity to choose is an incredible gift from God. Salvation through Faith in Christ is the only gift higher or better than the opportunity choose if you ask me. The gift of choice demonstrates God's love for us. As creator and sustainer of the universe God is in ultimate control. The Earth orbits the sun. It has no choice. It can't choose to reverse direction. Animals are slaves to ingrained, hard wired instinct. Birds can't choose to fly North instead of South for the winter. Yet God, almost from the beginning, permits his creation, his children, to choose. The opportunity to choose is an incredible gift from God. This gift demonstrates the goodness of God toward humanity.
Now with this opportunity to choose comes the possibility that people will reject God's goodness.
"If anyone hears what I am saying and doesn't take it seriously , I don't reject him. I didn't come to reject the world; I came to save the world. But you need to know that whoever puts me off, refusing to take in what I'm saying, is willfully choosing rejection. The Word, the Word-made-flesh that I have spoken and that I am, that Word and no other is the last word. I'm not making any of this up on my own. The Father who sent me gave me orders, told me what to say and how to say it. And I know exactly what his command produces: real and eternal life. That's all I have to say. What the Father told me, I tell you." John 12:47-50 MSG

There is a possibility that people will reject God's goodness & mercy. More like a probability than a possibility due to man's fallen nature. But Jesus tells us that God's command produces "real and eternal life". So when we reject God (This), we choose death and destruction(That). It's that simple. What God wants from us isn't hard. His standards are understandable. They aren't in a far off place. God's Word in your mouth and in your heart. You know his standards and you know his Word! Now do it.
Choose: This or That! "The thief's purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness." John 10:10 LB

Our options are hidden. The options are clear and right in front of us. Now we must utilize this wonderful gift of choice God has given us and choose life through Christ. "If we obey God's commands, then we are sure that we know him. If we say that we know him, but do not obey his commands, we are liars and there is no truth in us. But if we obey his word, we are the ones whose love for God has really been made perfect. This is how we can be sure that we are in union with God. If we say that we remain in union with God, we should live just as Jesus Christ did." 1 John 2:3-6 GN

God demands obedience. He says you can get with this or you can get with that. You should get with this because this is where its (life) at.

No comments: