Friday, June 19, 2009

Hanging With the boys. . .soon to be men


I had a great time last night. My son Isiah, along with two young men from New Yu, and I watched the Gateway Grizzlies pound their opponent 6-1. The game was cool. However, it wasn't the game alone that made the night great. The night was great because I heard the laughter of an 11 and 12 year old playing. I saw their eyes light up when one of the baseball players hit the ball really hard. Or when Izzy the bear came over to our section and shook my hands. I saw boys being boys in an environment where they didn't have to use false bravado.
I saw a young man, 15yrs old grinning from ear to ear. In his words, " This is so relaxing." I listened as he read the batting averages, home run, and runs batted in stats of each player as they came to bat. He followed the game intensely, while simultaneously relaxing.
We had pizza and soda, watched a vintage car show in between innings and listened to the roaring shouts of a JROTC unit. We hung out. I had a great night with boys soon to be men. But they aren't men yet. It was cool to see and hear them act like boys.

No comments: