Monday, October 5, 2009

Sufficient grace

"even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor 12:7-10


It's been several weeks since the brutal beating of 16 yr old Fenger High School student Derrion Albert in Chicago. Shortly after Derrion's horrific death Nas issued an open letter. In his letter Nas empathized with youth. Yet he also told them that they are fighting the wrong war. Nas also explained to them that they have so much potential that isn't being used. Now CNN and other media outlets are asking the question "How do we stop the violence?".
The intensity and ferocity of the violence that we currently see in today's youth culture doesn't just happen. It's not like it's coming from "nowhere". Young people today face broken homes, broken communities and broken lives. They face isolation and loneliness. They feel unloved. Many people believe that there's no hope.
Nas is writing open letters to Americas youth. Where's the church? Are we engaging youth culture and sharing the love of Christ with them? Or are we turning our backs on young people because we don't like their music? We don't understand their slang? We hate their culture? God's grace is sufficient for my deficiencies, your weakness and anything that today's youth culture may lack. His power works best in our weakness. Let's introduce youth to the Christ we know and love. The Christ that knows and loves us. Let's cast of pretense and be real with youth. Let's engage young people in dialogue without using "church lingo". Let's express genuine concern for their everyday struggles. Let's love them with everything we have. Like Christ loves us.

No comments: